Saturday, September 15, 2012

Fri.NiteKids: A Quick Intro.


Yodeysi, Luisana, Coco, Yudeisy, and Alondra w/ Gina. #Fri.NiteKids

I'll call "Fri. Nite Kids" an inner-city ministry in Tampa that my beloved sister, roommate, and co-laborer in the gospel, Gina, unintentionally started about 2 years ago in her old neighborhood by sharing the gospel with a little girl, who then told her neighborhood friends, who then repeatedly showed up at Gina's door with questions about Jesus, the Bible, etc. There is much more to say about how the Lord began this ministry and how He has been reaching these children with the gospel, but I will post that later, Lord willing. 

For now, I rejoice that after praying for some months now for the few laborers of this ministry and the many children in this neighborhood, God has opened a door for me to serve in the ministry every Friday. I am now teaching the middle and high school kids about the gospel at 6:45pm after Gina teaches the younger children at 5:30pm. I can't express how much joy and burden God has given me as I begin to share the gospel and my life with them (1 Thessalonians 2:8). They have become even more dear to me as I have spent time with them in these last few weeks. My heart is so burdened for these children, and I praise God that He has me here to labor that they might know "the Father of the fatherless" (Psalm 68:5). 

Gina also plans on trying to post more about the Bible study on her blog here: http://unabridgedgina.wordpress.com/

Prayer Requests

  • Salvation: Most of these children come from extremely broken homes, and they do not know Christ yet. Please pray for the Spirit of God to open their eyes to the glorious gospel of grace as He also empowers us to proclaim it to them weekly. Pray also for their families' salvation. 
  • Laborers: The Lord has blessed this unexpected ministry with laborers who love these children and have proclaimed the gospel to them for about 2 years now. At this moment, however, only Gina and I are serving/teaching on Fridays. Please pray that the Lord of the harvest will send laborers (especially faithful brothers to disciple the young boys in the neighborhood) to this neighborhood. 
  • Local Church: Please pray that He will connect the Bible study to a local church so that it can be under elders, etc. Efforts are in progress to connect the Bible study to a solid local church that is near the neighborhood, but please pray that it will happen.
  • Unity: Please pray Philippians 1:27 for Gina and I. Pray for our unity and harmony as we labor together in the gospel and live together along with 3 other beloved sisters in Christ. Pray that He will keep us humbled by His glory and remind us continually that our lives are hidden in Christ alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment