Monday, December 12, 2011

Forget & Remember to God's Glory

(some of my notes on Piper's auditory biography of Charles Simeon)


Forgetting to the Glory of God
Philippians 3:12-14 "Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus."


Remembering to the Glory of God
Ephesians 2:11-12 "Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called 'the uncircumcision' by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands—remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world."
(also consider Ezekiel 16)


"There is a salutary remembering, and there is a destructive remembering. And to the degree that sin is salutary in humbling us and exalting Christ, we ought to remember our sins. To the degree that sin is laming and paralyzing, we ought to forget our sins. That's the mystery of the walk." 
- John Piper (Q&A Session after auditory biography of Charles Simeon)

No comments:

Post a Comment